Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Addict's Psalm - Psalm 41

Lean on the Word.

As everyone who struggles with addiction knows, the holidays are a minefield.

Got an overeating addiction? Well, here comes Thanksgiving, a day which the world tries to tell you to "pig out!" If you get past turkey day, all of those plates of Christmas cookies are coming.

Are you a recovering alcoholic? The holidays are fraught with peril. Having to deal with relatives who have overstayed their welcome or family members who have hurt you can trigger the urge to drink. And then of course there's New Year's Eve.

Well, hang on. I want to share a lifeline with you, Psalm 41, the Addict's Psalm.

I believe in praying scripture. God's Word is a powerful weapon against the things that bind us. Jesus, the Word made flesh, is the ultimate bondage breaker. We know that the Sword of the Spirit, the Word of God is the weapon in the full armor of God. The other elements are defensive, but not the Word.

As you strive to stay strong in these upcoming 6 weeks or so, pray through Psalm 41 each day, to the One who "has regard for the weak" who "delivers him in time of trouble."

2 comments:

  1. I also like Psalm 18:1-3

    "I love you, O Lord my strength! The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer. My God is my Rock in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
    I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I'm saved from my enemies."

    Gloris

    ReplyDelete