Saturday, December 19, 2009

Church Windows Recipe



Church Windows are sliced, laterally, from the log, into "windows."


Okay, so I posted on Facebook that my family was baking Christmas cookies and that we were making Church Windows. My friend Sue Herman wanted to know what Church Windows were. Because there isn't enough room on Facebook to put the recipe, I am putting it here on the Mission's blog. Enjoy!
This is from my grandma, Agnes Masat, God rest her soul.
12 ounces chocolate chips
4 Tb margarine
2 eggs
6 cups colored small marshmallows
1 cup chopped walnuts
Wax paper
Under low heat, melt margarine and chocolate chips together. Once melted completely, continuing under low heat, mix in two beaten eggs. Stir constantly for three minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool for a minute. While cooling, tear off six 12" pieces of wax paper and set aside. Quickly mix in walnuts and marshmallows. Mix well. Dollop equal portions of the mixture onto the waxed paper sheets. Form into logs and wrap up in the wax paper. Put in freezer overnight. Next morning, slice logs into quarter inch thick "windows."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Phil!! They do look like church windows! I had never heard of these and I can really see my grandson loving them (minus the chopped walnuts, he is definitely not a fan of nuts). We do a family recipe of pinwheels (date middle) which we roll and cut. There is something wonderful about including an old family recipe into the holiday baking!! Enjoy this time of celebrating our Lord!

    ReplyDelete